Welcome! Log In

Advanced

Norton

Posted by AllanD 
Norton
November 16, 2017 09:14AM
Hi Rob,
I’ve just uninstalled Norton, as I’m using AVG instead and it’s removed completely CLM from my laptop. NOTHING ELSE. I think you may be right about an apostate working there. I don’t know if anyone else has had anything similar? Apart from a couple of things I backed up to ‘OneDrive ‘. but how annoying is this.

Allan Dyson
Holmfirth Congregation
West Yorkshire UK
Re: Norton
November 16, 2017 05:49PM
I feel compelled to write but it is my opinion only.

Windows has it's own antivirus which is not only good but free.

Third-party antivirus is really not necessary.

As JW's we simply do not go anywhere near the sites that are virus saturated.

Any prudent publisher will be cautious of what emails he opens and will not open an email attachment from someone he does not recognize and was not expecting. He will phone anyone he knows who sends him an unexpected attachment to verify it.

My life long mantra (as it were) is "If in doubt, leave it out!"

Exercising those basic precautions should in by far the majority of cases serve the computer user well.

The other basic precaution is to backup everything on the cloud... or in my case 'clouds'. Use a paid service such as Google Drive (about $3 per month for 50gb) or Dropbox or Apple Box or similar and if your computer gets something unpleasant, you simply replace your hard-drive and you are pretty much good to go within hours. I have never got anything unpleasant but have had hard-drives fail.

Rant over. hot smiley spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Simon W
Kawaha Rotorua NZ
November 18, 2017 08:09AM
Intake your point Simon, the thing I’m querying is why did just the CLME disappear and nothing else when I removed Norton. Something fishy.

Allan Dyson
Holmfirth Congregation
West Yorkshire UK
November 18, 2017 12:58PM
I agree, it does seem that CLME is 'picked on' by Norton...

Simon W
Kawaha Rotorua NZ
November 21, 2017 02:27AM
Hi Allan,

I have had the same problem. After a Norton update, the program was completely removed from my device.

Have today tried to reinstall twice with Norton turned off and appears that it has installed but the program will not run.

This issue has not been encountered previously when the anti virus has been turned off.

I have posted on another thread in this forum about this issue.

Hope that someone can assist as I really did not want to have to install an alternative CLM program as this one is the best.

Regards
Frank
November 21, 2017 05:46AM
Hi Frank, thanks for the kind words.

I think you should escalate this to Symantec. Things sound really messed up on your machine.

Their support staff can connect to your pc remotely and fix it.

Thanks!

Robert Hudson
Stoney Creek Congregation, Hamilton Ontario, Canada
Author CLM Explorer
November 30, 2017 02:11AM
The problem exists not only on Norton - also the standard Windows 10 Defender deletes the download, unable to install...

Report: Trojan:Win32/Fuerboos.B!cl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2017 02:11AM by adino.
December 20, 2017 04:22PM
On 12/20/2017, I'm getting Windows Defender refusing to allow CLM Explorer to update, with

Trojan:Win32/Fuerboos.C!cl
Affected items: file: C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\CLM Explorer\Updates\updProgram.exe
December 22, 2017 02:06AM
Viacoboni
On 12/20/2017, I'm getting Windows Defender refusing to allow CLM Explorer to update, with

Trojan:Win32/Fuerboos.C!cl
Affected items: file: C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\CLM Explorer\Updates\updProgram.exe

Hi Viacoboni,

My windows defender started giving me that alert too but it stopped doing it after a while (since Tuesday this week). There should be an option to download anyway (usually a small down arrow that opens up more options?) Just make sure you have the latest build of CLME (212 currently) and latest virus definitions up-to-date.

Simon W
Kawaha Rotorua NZ
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login