Welcome! Log In

Advanced

Synching Problems 2018

Posted by Rob Langton 
Synching Problems 2018
December 17, 2017 02:56AM
Hi Rob, first time we've had synch problems and it hit us for January 2018.Been using TMS/CLMware for a few years now.

I currently enter COBE assignments, and operate off of 2 Win7 PCs, our LaMMO uses Win10. Both using Version 211. Never had antivirus issues...

We first noted issues when our LaMMO loaded student assignments for Jan on top of the COBE data which went I had loaded up 'til March.
I synched and only got a few of his assignments showing but the weeks were all flagged as fully scheduled. Lots of blanks spaces. We played this game for over a week thinking we had bed timing, but after spending time with both of our PCs together I realised I was still getting blanks spaces.

I then came home and manually keyed in his student data I tried to synch between my own 2 pcs and get no reaction. As I was keying the assignments manually I did note that the students were shown as already having had the assignment on that date in the selection fields... just nothing showing on the home screen,,,

Next step was to completely uninstall on one and synch to the data on the server.. nothing. I get no download/upload activity at all... just Done..

Am I missing something really basic? eye popping smiley

Rob Langton
Morphett Vale Congregation
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
Re: Synching Problems 2018
December 17, 2017 04:06AM
OK, now I feel silly... I've got both of my PCs synching.. somehow..

Now for the LaMMO's...
December 17, 2017 04:12AM
Arrgghhh, I got a partial synch again.... lots of gaps...

Rob Langton
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
December 18, 2017 09:30PM
Exactly the same problem here. Only getting Bible reader filled in when syncing with LAMMO.
Paul Edwards
Bairnsdale, VIC
Australia
December 18, 2017 11:06PM
G'day Paul... thanks for that.. I was beginning to think it was just us.....

Good to hear it happens over the border too, or is that bad to hear? confused smiley

Rob Langton
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
December 19, 2017 06:20AM
Not having had to come on the Forum for a while I have just run back through 2017 and realised there have been other issues with syncing.

I use OneDrive to keep all of our Cong schedules and lists, so it appears that may be the best way to work.

For us to work this properly, which file in CLM is best shared in the cloud, or should we put our latest backup there instead...?

Any guidance fully appreciated.

BTW I love the option we discussed earlier this year to be able to sort names in the Reports/[Assignment Slips/Let Me Specify field... I've found it works great for appointed brothers who have multiple assignments throughout the month.. easy to sort, easy to print in bulk...

Rob Langton
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
December 20, 2017 09:38AM
We are having exactly the same issue with Sync the LAMMO has everything fine but mine as COBE is showing Blanks and wont show.

Hope there is a fix for is it as it does seem to be a issue.

We are doing the same thing passing backup files between us.
December 21, 2017 04:49PM
Hi Rob, do we have any advice on this yet? I have manually worked thru January but my LaMMO is looking to load February.

I suppose the questions are..

Is the syncing function being changed/fixed?

Or do we share files, possibly thru the cloud.. if so which file? A backup?

Thanks

Rob Langton
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
December 22, 2017 01:12AM
I hate to admit it because I really wanted it to work, but the LAMMO and I cannot get the sync to work, whether the regular method or the BETA method. I don't know if it is our fault or problems between computer brands or what but we have tried many things and cannot get consistent results. I would like to detail the issues but they are too random to be mentioned as a bug.

We just rely on the backup / restore method. Even this method, regrettably is not consistent but it is better than any other method.

We have a shared 'DropBox' folder and backup all our datafiles to there. Whenever the LAMMO does a backup DropBox pops up a notification on my desktop saying that he has done so and I 'restore' it into my CLME.
I do the same on my end and he can see the alert / notification on his desktop.

We sometimes detail in an email or phone-call what we have changed so that we can look out for it because sometimes it doesn't show up so we have to re-do the file transfer.

Simon W
Kawaha Rotorua NZ
December 22, 2017 05:33AM
Hi Simon. Thanks, that's the first and only feedback I've had in a month, I wasn't aware the 2nd sync system didn't work.

I think I will scrap both of sync mechanisms and try something else (attempt 3)

Sorry

Robert Hudson
Stoney Creek Congregation, Hamilton Ontario, Canada
Author CLM Explorer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2017 05:43AM by Robert Hudson.
December 28, 2017 05:14PM
I'm not sure why everyone is having issues syncing, but the beta sync has been working awesome since my last email to you, so i am not sure that scraping it is the best idea.
I have not had any issues for a month now, and hope it stays that way!

Thanks,

Darrell Vandergrifft
CLMO
Palmaire Congregation
Glendale, Arizona
December 28, 2017 06:23PM
Hi Darrell. No problem, I'm glad to hear that! Sure - it can stay running smiling bouncing smiley

Robert Hudson
Author CLM Explorer
January 02, 2018 10:48AM
Currently, in the synchronization, some data is lost. For example, when the life and ministry meeting chairperson does the programming, and I sync, some appointments are missing and on his PC, all are normally assigned. Any suggestion?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 01:15PM by Feitosa.
January 02, 2018 02:47PM
Hi, Feitosa, are you talking about "regular" synchronization or the beta version?

Oi Feitosa, você está falando sobre a sincronização "regular" ou a versão 'beta'?

Simon W
Kawaha Rotorua NZ
January 03, 2018 07:07PM
Oi Simon,
É sobre a sincronização entre dois PC.
Um irmão faz a programação na casa dele e sincroniza os dados e quando vou fazer as outras designações, na aparece todas as designações que ele fez. Mas no outro PC não apaga as informações, apenas não aparece as designações no calendário e nem na impressão. Caso não tenha ficado claro, posso te enviar alguns prints da tela.
January 03, 2018 07:36PM
Ok, você está falando sobre a sincronização regular (também há versão Beta em teste). Existem problemas conhecidos com a sincronização que está sendo trabalhada atualmente. Por enquanto, a melhor maneira é fazer mudanças em um computador e obtê-lo o mais preciso possível, então:
Salvar > Backup > Enviar o arquivo de dados por email (ou salvar em uma pasta compartilhada da nuvem) > restaurar o arquivo de dados no segundo computador.
Essa é a maneira mais precisa.
Uma vez que qualquer alteração é feita no segundo computador: Salvar > Backup > E-mail (ou salvar a nuvem) > Restaurar o arquivo de dados no primeiro computador.
Faça essa seqüência cada vez. Você precisará se comunicar com o outro amigo regularmente para que, quando você restaurar o arquivo de dados em seu computador, é a versão mais recente / precisa. É o que fazemos localmente. Espero que isso ajude.

Desculpe pela tradução, o Google é meu amigo.grinning smiley

Simon W
Kawaha Rotorua NZ
January 03, 2018 07:50PM
Obrigado, ajudou muito sua explicação!
January 03, 2018 07:56PM
Eu sei que é assustador ao usar o recurso 'Backup' e 'Restaurar', mas você se acostumará cool smiley

Simon W
Kawaha Rotorua NZ
January 04, 2018 12:53PM
Acredito que em breve o desenvolvedor deve corrigir esse problema.
Já coloquei em prática as suas sugestões.

January 11, 2018 09:11PM
Hi Rob, have you thought about possibly being able to export your data, opening up immediately to an email with attachment - which is then sent to the other user(s).

They simply download the file to desktop and when CLM is opened it finds the file and after a quick Yes/No prompt it updates from that backup.

I noted this on another schedule program (CLM section nowhere near CLMWARE standards spinning smiley sticking its tongue out, so not using it), and it appears to work really well.

Just a thought....

Rob Langton
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
January 11, 2018 09:22PM
Hi Rob. It's a great idea. I'm working on something similar to what you describe which will synchronize the data file in a similar way to how Dropbox works (file synchronization).

The first attempts at the sync function were not successful because they were too complex. They were transactional and tried to synchronize the contents of the data file record-by-record.

The new approach is to sync at the file level. I'm also splitting the data file into separate smaller files. This will eliminate sync "collisions" i.e. the COBE and LaMMO both make changes t the same time. Splitting the files will stop this. Also a performance improvement.

It's almost ready to try.

Thanks for the compliment too. smiling smiley

Robert Hudson
Author CLM Explorer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login