Welcome! Log In

Advanced

Gen 37:5 - Please don't hate me cool smiley

Gen 37:5 - Please don't hate me cool smiley
February 08, 2016 09:36PM
So my process right now for all the worksheets and schedules is to put them into OneDrive which all our elders and servants have access to (or, more specifically, the MS have access to the schedules, and Elders have access to both the schedules and worksheets). It looks like this:

So right now, I have to go through a LOT to make this happen. ie:
reports -> Schedule -> Preview -> Word (Export to pdf)
reports -> Work Sheets -> click ONE week -> Main -> Preview -> Word (Export to pdf) -> Name something useful (like: 2016-02-03 - Chairman's Outline (William Bushong).pdf)
reports -> Work Sheets -> click the NEXT ONE week -> Second -> Preview -> Word (Export to .pdf) -> Name something useful (like: 2016-02-10 - Aux School Worksheet.pdf)
... chairman's outline...

--repeat for all other weeks of the month.

Now, this works, but it takes a lot of time. Unless I'm missing a different way (maybe everyone else is printing and handing them out?) this seems to work best. Elders can log in anytime to OneDrive, and no more lost papers, etc. Plus, as I'm sure every LAMO deals with, random questions come up at random times (out in service, at store, etc.) and it's nice to pull up schedules in OneDrive and deal with them. So where am I going with this??

It would be REALLY nice to have a single button that creates the many pdf's for the month in one "dump" directory. Wow would that be awesome. I don't see anywhere in the program where you are currently creating .pdf's natively - so maybe that isn't something that is easily implemented.

So as an alternative, perhaps there could be an option to, instead of opening all the weeks in ONE FILE, to have each week in a separate word instance (or whatever default program). I'd still export each one separately as a .pdf, but at least I don't have to click each week one at a time.

Lastly, would it be possible to instead of always using "tmpWrkShtChairman.rtf" or whatever, would it be possible to use a more descriptive name? IE: YEAR-MONTH-DAY - What Schedule - Person it's assigned to. So: 2016-03-15 - Main School Worksheet - William Bushong.rtf -- This keeps things sorted properly (year, month, day) and provides a lot more info. It would save a LOT of typing for me. Right now, I basically copy the top of the .rtf and paste it (after some mods) for the file name.

Am I crazy? Are others doing it differently?

As always, thank you SO MUCH for all the hard work!!

YB,

Bill Bushong - Salem, MA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2016 09:52PM by Bill Bushong - Salem, MA.
Re: Gen 37:5 - Please don't hate me cool smiley
February 09, 2016 05:57PM
Hi Bill,

There does appear to be a lot more work these days doesn't there? All the brothers I have spoken to have remarked similarly, however the meetings are of superior quality as a result; very enjoyable.

I suppose in time we will get accustomed to it.

You are blessed in that you have brothers savvy with cloud file storage. I have to email each privately, and some I have to print for... but that is not a complaint, we are grateful for all the brothers who work alongside us bearing the load.

I look forward to seeing responses to this thread. smiling bouncing smiley

Simon W
Kawaha Rotorua NZ
February 09, 2016 08:08PM
Hi Bill. That's a great, organized system you have there!

A few comments - why PDF? These are not editable. Wouldn't it be better to distribute the docs as RTF? Especially the chairman outline. In our congregation the brothers appreciate being able to type stuff in the opening/closing comments boxes.Or customize the sheet as they see fit (bold, highlight add color etc).

Also, would it not be easier to simply save the entire print run as a single multi-page document? The individual brothers can print the page that's pertains to them. That's what we do, but maybe we're just lazy??

Robert Hudson
Stoney Creek Congregation, Hamilton Ontario, Canada
Author CLM Explorer
February 09, 2016 08:44PM
That is a great point. I use .pdf secular a ton, and it is just what I default to in my mind. It also took away some of unpredictability of the end device (ie: EVERYTHING can open a .pdf, and the layout doesn't change). That said, it seems like most EVERYTHING supports .rtf (which I suppose is why you picked it smiling smiley ). So yes, RTF would be great. I could really see them getting into the formatting, etc.

On the second point, I'm glad to hear how you do it - I'm ALWAYS curious!! However, I find this has been confusing for the average person. Concepts like "print current page only" and making sure they are on the correct page, and that they don't miss that they are used twice in one month have made that difficult for us to do that in the past. When I've done that, the brother(s) on the other side get "stuck" on page 1 because they think there is only one page. I wouldn't call you (or any of your fellow brothers) lazy smiling smiley but almost all of our brothers have "hiccuped" over a multi-page document. I also find this cleaner because I can also update just ONE WEEK if something changes in the meeting. Now, just that one week is effected and only ONE brother has to re-sync (assuming he has even downloaded it)

So.... I guess my adjusted dream at this point (if it's worth your time) would be to have a button that creates a "batch" of .rtf files for the chairman, school, and aux schools for the month. The files don't have to open or anything, just be saved somewhere, and named something meaningful. That truly would be awesome in my mind. If you don't see a need, please ignore, and I'll continue through my workflow or find a way to educate the other brothers. Thanks again for sharing, and a great program!

Simon: That you to for your input! JW.org has brought almost all of our brothers to the point where they can click and print things themselves... which is GREAT! This has really saved us (ok, me) time! And with the idea above about RTF... brothers could now even save the file back up to the cloud (those brave enough) for me to enter into the program at home. Very cool stuff.

YB,

Bill Bushong - Salem, MA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2016 08:50PM by Bill Bushong - Salem, MA.
February 09, 2016 09:10PM
Hi Bill, good point about splitting the weeks into separate docs. No page scrolling plus it's easier to edit a single week.

I see a lot of value in that...Let me chew on this

Robert Hudson
Author CLM Explorer
February 14, 2016 08:57PM
This is done. There's a new button labeled 'Distribute' on the Reports screen.

Once you choose a root folder, it will save the individualized docs organized into monthly folders

Robert Hudson
Author CLM Explorer
February 15, 2016 03:42PM
Love this! Thank you very much thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2016 03:43PM by Heath Foster.
February 15, 2016 07:23PM
HI Heath, you're welcome!

This was inspired by Bill's idea above. I find it useful too (I do the printing for our congr.)

Robert Hudson
Author CLM Explorer
February 15, 2016 08:13PM
I CAN'T WAIT!! I am getting an error right now, but I'm working through it smiling smiley

Bad file name or number(D:\Users\bbushong\OneDrive\Christian Life and Ministry Schedules\2016-03\2016-03-09 Main ???? (A BROTHER'S NAME).rtf)

I imagine the "???" is the problem, but it's probably something silly I'm doing. Can't wait for this to work. Thank you SOOOO much Robert!

YB,

Bill Bushong - Salem, MA
February 15, 2016 08:22PM
Hi Bill!!

There's a missing string in your English file. Try updating.

Or add this:
LBL_WORKSHEET=WorkSheet

Robert Hudson
Author CLM Explorer
February 15, 2016 08:29PM
So installing the latest edition again (I download it each time) made it WORK!! AMAZING! I know this took significant time on your side, but please know it will save many of us a LOT of time!

I don't know what else to say!

THANK YOU, Thank You, thank you,
YB,

Bill Bushong - Salem, MA
February 15, 2016 08:39PM
No, thank YOU Bill. That was a great idea you had!

Robert Hudson
Author CLM Explorer
February 17, 2016 02:41AM
Good Work

But is there a way to change the distribution folder to another in case you want a different location.

tried to use onedrive but i get errors

Error 52# Bad file name or number(C:\Users\AC\OneDrive\Documents
Line 52 clsTextStream.OpenFile

Cant change
February 17, 2016 02:51AM
Could it be because of unicode characters in my naming

Error 52 Bad file name or number(C:\Users\AC\OneDrive\Documents\2016-02\2016-02-08 Asa 1 Ahwɛfoɔ Kratasin (Joseph Attah-Boateng)5.rtf)
February 17, 2016 06:55AM
Hi Achiey. Yes, the problem is the Unicode character in the name. I'll have to research a fix.

BTW, yes you can change the target folder in Preferences - but that won't help you)

Robert Hudson
Author CLM Explorer
February 17, 2016 08:19AM
Hi Achiey. I've manage to resolve putting Unicode characters in the filename.

(There's a bug in my version of Word. It gives me an error if I double-click the file. However I can manually click File >> Open and choose the file and it works.)

Run Live Updates then try for yourself. Thanks!

Robert Hudson
Author CLM Explorer
February 24, 2016 04:37PM
Bob! I love the "Distribute" feature! This saves me so much time. Thank you!
February 24, 2016 05:22PM
Hi Marco. You're welcome, I'm so glad to hear that!

Thanks for the feedback.

Robert Hudson
Author CLM Explorer
February 25, 2016 08:39AM
Yes that is a nice feature. Excellent job. you are spoiling us.
March 01, 2016 02:10PM
Robert,

The distribute feature is really great. Many thanks for a superb program. Can I make a suggestion to make distribute even more useful. At the moment the documents are created and saved in rtf format. On an ipad or android device is not easy to read rtf format. Even the Microsoft word app for these devices will not open an rtf document. Could we have an option to save the output as word docx file ? That way we could see the files from our tablets the kingdom hall when we are asked about future weeks schedules

Steve Sinclair,
Stirling Congregation
Scotland
March 02, 2016 07:15AM
Hi Steve. That's a nice idea!

However it would be difficult to reliably generate .docx files.

It would require ActiveX automation but there are many different versions of Word out there. Some users don't have Word at all, rather Open Office or something else.

I'll look into it though...

Robert Hudson
Author CLM Explorer
March 02, 2016 08:25AM
I think pdf files could be viewed on tablets, and the program already outputs pdf for the assignment slips. Is this a viable alternative to doc or docx? ( I can handle doc on pc but not docx) pdf is ok on pc or tablet.
For iPad there is also "rtf Write"app which displays rtf files.
March 02, 2016 08:34AM
I've been playing around with generating .docx on my machine and I can't get it to work reliably. It would be a logistical nightmare to try and support Word Automation for all users.

PDF would be better, but this too would be difficult to do (converting .rtf to .pdf)

Robert Hudson
Author CLM Explorer
April 07, 2016 08:24AM
This feature is very helpful and I have most of the elders using it now with Dropbox. Thanks!
I have been saving the answer sheet for each month in its corresponding folder but it seems that whenever the program updates the files it erases the answer sheet. Is there a work around for this ? Or am I doing something wrong?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2016 08:25AM by Heath Foster.
April 07, 2016 11:34AM
Hi Heath, you're welcome.

I can change it so only RTFs are deleted. But they must be deleted, if the 'distribute' function is run again

Robert Hudson
Author CLM Explorer
April 07, 2016 05:03PM
That would work if it's not too much trouble for you. Thanks again
April 07, 2016 05:21PM
Sure no problem. It will take a bit of time for the next release. (Working on a major adjustment for the mobile stuff)

Maybe add another subfolder for now. Put your answer sheets in there. Thanks

Robert Hudson
Author CLM Explorer
April 07, 2016 05:42PM
July 10, 2016 06:46AM
Hi there,

Great feature, the 'Distribute' button. Hadn't noticed it, really, until I saw this post. Will reduce quite some work, as well as a little printing cost!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Somehow, however, it works fine in English, but not in Chinese. In English all the reports are generated, but in Chinese only the Schedule and Chairman's Outline appear. The Main WorkSheet is not generated. Do I need to check or uncheck boxes anywhere, or might something else cause this? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Pieter de Groot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2016 06:47AM by Pieter de Groot.
July 10, 2016 04:55PM
Hi Pieter.

The problem will likely be the file name. It will contain characters that Windows doesn't like.

The worksheet will be named "yyyy-mm-dd [Location] WorkSheet

where [Location] = Main, Second or Third

Could you try editing your Chinese file and changing this line:
RPT_MAIN=第一班
to
RPT_MAIN=Main

also try adding this entry to your file
LBL_WORKSHEET=WorkSheet

the file is located at %appdata%\CLM Explorer\Gui\Gui_Chinese (Simplified).ini

Thanks!

Robert Hudson
Author CLM Explorer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login